- This event has passed.
November 11 @ 7:45 pm – 11:00 pm EST
Albany Contra’s next dance will be on Friday, Nov 11 at the Albany Elks Lodge.
Music by Alan Thomson, George Wilson, and Josh Pisano, with caller Joan Savitt.
Beginner lesson starts at 7:45 pm, with the dance following from 8:00 pm to 11:00 pm.
No partner is necessary, and beginners are always welcome!
Sliding scale admission from $8 to $20
Please note the following COVID precautions in place for this dance::
*Proof of vaccination with at least on booster is required
*Masks must be worn by attendees
*Pre-registration is encouraged
Albany Contradances are held every second and fifth Friday of the month, September through June, in the large ballroom of the Albany Elks Lodge, located at 25 S Allen St, Albany, NY.
Dancing starts at 8pm, with a beginner lesson at 7:45pm. Now is a great time to be a beginner! Please share this event with anybody who may be interested, regardless of experience level!
Contra dancing has its roots in English country dancing, and may feel familiar to square dancing.
As we’re living in a world with covid-19, we will have a number of precautionary measures in place:
- We will be requiring proof of vaccinations – you must have had at least one booster. You can either send us a picture of your card virtually (via the link above), or show it at the door.
- Dancers are encouraged to pre-register in advance at this link. You only need to pre-register once for the series.
- All dancers must wear high-quality masks while dancing and when nearby other people. Please bring your own N95, KN95, or equivalent. We will have a limited number of N95s for those who need them.
- Please stay home if you have cold-like symptoms, even if you think it’s “just allergies”.
- We strongly recommend taking a rapid test before leaving home the day of the event and are grateful for your diligence around communal health!
In partnership with the DFO, we would like to remind all attendees that consent is vital to a safe and inclusive dance experience. Be polite when asking for dances, gracious if rejected, and always ask before trying to dip, lift, or twirl your partner. If someone at the dance causes you to feel uncomfortable, please speak with an organizer, who will be wearing a name badge. More information can be found at https://www.danceflurry.org/about-us/culture-of-consent/
We have decided to make our events more inclusive by asking our callers to use the gender neutral role terms Larks and Robins. Thank you for being a flexible, loving community!
In our ever-continuing work to welcome more people to the dance floor, we are implementing a sliding pay scale. Please plan to pay what you comfortably can, from $8 for those that need extra communal support to $25 for those who are able to give our newly reborn dance a financial boost.
If you can volunteer your time before, during, or after the dance, we would love to help you help us! Please fill out this form to share your availability and interest, and we’ll be in touch.
Contact us with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org
We are so excited to dance with you again!
Here is a complete list of our planned dates for the coming season:
- September 9 – Matthew Christian and Max Carmichael with Melanie Axel-Lute
- September 30 – Liz Nelson with Kingfisher (Cecilia Vacanti & Jeff Kaufman)
- October 14 – Contravention (Alan Thomson, Eric Buddington, Aldo Lavaggi, and Brian Melick)
- November 11 – Alan Thomson, George Wilson, and Josh Pisano with caller Joan Savitt
- December 9 – The Russet Trio (Aldo Lavaggi, Peter Madsen, Stuart Kenney) with caller Will Mentor
- January 13
- February 10
- March 10
- March 31
- April 14
- May 12
- June 9
- June 30