Gotta Dance? Gotta Sing? Wanna Play Music?
Interested in history & cultural context?
Looking for financial support?
Need to find someone to perform at an event?
We have all kinds of information for the DanceFlurry Community —
Articles on the Health Benefits of Dancing
Information on Race/history for Inclusive Space
This can be a hard topic to discuss/read about. The DFO encourages you to use supports as you explore and learn more.
Contra and Folk Music
- Race & The Making of Old Time Music with Jake Blount at The Flurry Festival ’21
- Crowd Sourced Insensitive Songs compiled by Martin Urbach
- Songs with a Questionable Past
- List of Blackface minstrel songs
- Library of Congress about Minstrel Songs
- Country Music Sources
- Birdie in the Cage – Secret History of Square dancing
- Dinah, Put Down Your Horn: Blackface Minstrel Songs Don’t Belong in Music Class
- Decolonizing the Music Room
- Black Stringband Music: Recommended Resources by Jake Blount
- MOVE Together ~ Dancing Towards An Inclusive Community & Global Social Justice
- The Lindy Circle’s ‘Lindy Hop History’
- Got2Lindy Dance Studios ‘Harlem’s Contribution to Black History in Music and Dance’
- Got2Lindy Dance Studios ‘Slumming Uptown: Tour Through the Hotspots of Music & Dance’
- The Society Pages ‘Race, Appropriation and Lindy Hop. How to Honor our Heroes’
- Blues is our Story by Brother Yusef
- Obsidian Tea’s Blues Dancing 101
- Blues Dance Resources from Columbus Ohio
- Anti-Racism Swing playlist including Lindy Hop is a Black American Dance
This is not a comprehensive list, so continue to do your own research in regards to these topics and email us if you have suggestions